Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Origami #7: Altered Cube

Origami #7: Altered Cube

As promised, today's project is a slightly more interesting project from "Amazing Origami" by Kunihiko Kasahara. But first I need to admit to my first origami failure. My original plan for the day was to make a beautiful vase created from a regular hexagon, which itself was made from an equilateral triangle. But I couldn't. I got stuck. Sorry.

Origami #7: Altered Cube

What you get instead is this cube (essentially two open boxes put together) with its 8 corners "knocked in" creating an interesting polyhedron shape (technically a triacontahedron with 24 triangular faces and 6 square faces). The pictures don't really show it well, but I think you can get the idea.

Origami #7: Altered Cube

This shows the two pieces which were joined to make the polyhedron.

BTW, while searching for the correct term for a 30-sided polyhedron, I came across Daniel Kwan's Flickr photos. Wow, just wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment