Thursday, January 13, 2011

Origami #9: Turtle

This is a fairly traditional origami piece: a turtle. Instructions found at The Fold.

Origami  #9: Turtle

With this project I learned that I still have a lot to learn about following origami instructions. I've been knitting since I was old enough to know the difference between needles and yarn, so knitting language and knitting patterns are second nature to me. This whole origami experience is giving me a new appreciation for what people who learn to knit as adults must be going through when faced with a pattern for the first time.

I will admit that I found a great video that walked me through the process so I could understand the directions. And, in general, I highly recommend that adults learning something new watch other people do it, live or online -- at least for visual learners this is a big help.

Origami  #9: Turtle

Once I figured out what I was doing, I have to admit the hardest part of this project was opening it once it was done, since this was, once again, made with a calendar page that's a bit heavier than origami paper. Very pretty, and very fitting for a turtle, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment